Before enrolling in any program, prospective students should take into consideration the personal demands and obligations of attending The Barber School of Pittsburgh. Preparation, planning and having a thorough understanding of the school’s attendance guidelines and satisfactory progress policy will allow students to be successful BSP Barbers. Choosing the right time to start school is necessary for successful program completion. Students need positive motivation and a strong personal commitment to make the necessary preparations to attend all classes as scheduled and complete the training on-time. Prospective students must consider the class attendance schedule verses a work schedule, dependable child care, back-up day care, transportation costs, physical stamina and the overall demands of becoming a student. Additional planning involves knowing the expected amount of time to complete the program and developing a personal financial budget accordingly. Prospective students giving false or misrepresented information during the admissions process will be denied enrollment. Providing false information within the Financial Aid application and verification processes is a violation of federal law that could bring about criminal charges. In addition, a student currently enrolled providing false information, of any kind, will be terminated. Additional information and the full Admissions process can be found in our school catalog.
Minimum Application Requirements
Applications can be submitted any time via this website by selecting the "Apply Now" button. However, admission to the school is only open during designated admission periods, to career-minded people who will be able to obtain and utilize the skills taught to pass the licensing written and practical examination, and become gainfully employed in the industry. Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements specific to applying:
- Obtain an email address if you do not already have one. The Barber School of Pittsburgh's Administrative office will send all admissions/enrollment notifications by email.
- Complete an application for the training program and submit it via the website by the designated deadline for the start date requested.
- Possess a verifiable high school diploma or equivalent (GED), or evidence of completion of home schooling that state law treats as a home or private school.
- Evidence that verification of a foreign student’s high school diploma has been performed by an outside agency that is qualified to translate documents into English and confirm the academic equivalence to a U.S high school diploma
- Possess government issued identification such as a driver's license, state id with photo or passport.
- Be able to pay a $95 registration fee at scheduled enrollment appointment, if accepted.
Barber Program Start Dates
2023 Start Dates
July 11, 2023 (Monroeville Day Only)
July 18, 2023 (Pittsburgh Day Only)
October 10, 2023 (Monroeville Day Only)
October 17, 2023 (Pittsburgh Day Only)
October 2023 (Pittsburgh PM Classes)
*Class start dates are subject to change, at any time, without notice.*
Prospective students interested in Financial Aid are encouraged to complete a 2023/24 FAFSA.
Our school code is 042246.
Prospective students can still complete a FAFSA before applying to the school.
Programs & Schedules
The Barber School of Pittsburgh currently offers a Barber program, which requires 1250 hours in no less than 9 months. Crossover Program to students with a current PA Cosmetology license which requires 695 hours. If a student has completed a barber program and/or was issued a PA temporary barber’s license, they are eligible to take the PA state board test and do not need any additional hours. If the student chooses to enroll, they are doing so electively.
Daytime/Weekday Schedule (Monday through Friday)
1st 13 Weeks (8:30am - 3:00pm)
2nd 13 Weeks (9:00am - 3:30pm)
3rd 13 Weeks (10:00am - 4:30pm)
Approximately 9.5 months to completion.
Evening/Saturday Schedule (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Saturday)
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday (4:30pm - 10:30pm)
Saturday (9:30am - 5:30pm)
Approximately 12 months to completion
1st 26 Weeks (9:00am - 3:30pm)
3rd 13 Weeks (9:30am - 4:00pm)
Approximately 9.5 months to completion